Recipe by Canned Food Alliance
- caribbean, southern, lunch, dairy free, nut free, sugar free, salad, mothers' day
- 2 cans (14 ½ ounces each) low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1 can (15 to 16 ounces) black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup diced red and/or yellow bell pepper
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- ¾ cup thinly sliced green onions
- ½ cup bottled herb or Italian vinaigrette salad dressing
- Hot pepper sauce to taste, optional
- Bring the broth and ¼ cup water to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- Stir in the rice.
- Cover the pan, reduce heat to medium-low and cook until rice is tender and broth is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Combine the black-eyed peas, bell pepper, celery and green onions in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the warm rice and the vinaigrette.
- Stir gently to combine.
- Add hot pepper sauce, if desired.
- Serve immediately or let cool and serve at room temperature.